San Juan Island Weather

Today was a good mix of weather.  When I woke up this morning it was not really to chilly outside. A few hours later the wind moved in and the air temp felt much colder.  A really strong wind developed and gradually backed off to a strong breeze.  At one time I check the weather marker for Smith Island and it was blowing 45 knots and gust to 54 knots in a SE direction.  I would have loved to see the water out there.  

After running errands in town I decided I needed to go for a nice run.  It turned out to be a great run as far as how I felt on the run.  I took a couple of pictures.  But I have some sad news to report. I carry my new Pentax Optio W60 with me on my runs.  Well I stopped to take a few photos and there was moisture behind the LCD screen on the back.  The camera does not have a viewfinder so the LCD helps to compose and image.  I clicked a few off anyway and continued on my run.  By the time I exited the woods to the to of the hill where it is an open view to the Straits, the lens cover had moisture behind it.  This is suppose to be a waterproof camera and yes I have had it in the water.  So later I am going to contact the warranty department and see what they want me to do.  I still have my old camera so I will be taking it on my outings until I can get this worked out.

But on my run I headed out to get a view towards Cattle Pass off the south end of San Juan Island.  It was really cool.  The wind was blowing but there really was not that bad of water conditions in the Straits or further into San Juan Channel.  But right at the entrance to Cattle Pass there was a line of standing waves.  They were amazing.  I could see them with no problem from where I was, which is a great distance away.  I decided not to drive down to see them after I ran back to my car because I would be bummed not to be able to get a picture.  

Well that has pretty much been my day so far.  I guess I could add all the non fun stuff like cleaning all the kayak gear from my lessons yesterday.  But I do not care to chat about that.

So here are the few images I was able to get.  


This is part of the trail the meanders through the woods.


It was so green I had to stop and take a picture.


This was taken from the the top of Mt Finlayson.  You can see the wave in the distances.  They are pretty nice.  Click on the image for a better view.

Hope everyone is having a great day and have a wonderful evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astral Greenjacket Review

Morning Kayak Lessons

Seward G3 Passat Kayak Review