Busy Times

Sorry for not getting around to posting. I have been busy with work and some personal life issues. Things are starting to even out a bit.

So the season has been busy, a bit down compared to previous seasons, but we are doing ok. Guides are busy but not over worked as we seemed to be in the past. So given that, spirits are still high as we approach August.

I was out on a multi day with a great family and on my return I was hit with bad news all at once. First on the plate was Tayrn (Guide) freaking out because one of our trailers had a metal failure on the frame of the trailer while driving down the road. No one was hurt and that we just luck. But some kayaks were damaged and the trailer is a loss. So operations are going on with the normal loads of guest. It just takes a bit more logistical detail. We are awaiting a response from the company that custom built the trailer. Sandy and good friend who is a master of fiberglass has been working hard to get the damaged kayaks back on the water. She amazes me with the amount of skills she has. She has all but two kayaks already for use to use! WOW!

The next set of bad news was that my dog Guinness was at the vet. A couple days before I left for my trip Guinness slipped on the stairs on the way to my room. It was a minor slip but just enough to cause a limp. The day I was leaving on my tour he seemed to be having a hard time getting up. I asked my friend Robin to check in on him and if she felt he needed to go to the vet, just take him. Things seemed to be fine as it just seemed he had pulled a muscle. But on my return day from my tour, Robin was most concerned as it seemed he had lost the use of his rear legs. She rushed him to the vet (Thank you so much).

I got to land around 330pm and had to get some work done. I tried to get some stuff done, but the other guides told me to leave that they would take care of the rest. I meet up with Robin since I had no idea what vet Guinness was located. When we got to the vet they told me he was paralyzed in his rear. If he did not regain mobility in 48 hours he probably would not walk again and that he could not empty his bladder on his own. So a decision would have to be made on putting him down. I have had Guinness since he was a tiny little puppy. He as been though a lot with me in my life. He is for sure a valued family member. Just thinking of having to decide to put him down was a bit much for me and as I went to the kennel to see him, well I did not do a graceful job of holding back my emotions.

He stayed the night at the vet and I was planning on bringing him home the next day. If he had to be put down I would set the date for Friday and we would have a party with Guinness's friends so everyone could say bye. But we went back to the vet in the morning and Guinness was able to stand. I would not say walking was something he was doing but he was moving. That afternoon I took him home. He needs assistance getting down the stair to go out. I can deal with that.

Today he is doing a bit better. Stairs are still a problem and I help him with that. But outside he stumbles about with a bit more mobility than before. I doubt we will share times on the trail jogging anymore but right now I am happy that he is home and seems to be doing a bit better. He will have to learn to operate with his new condition but he adapts well.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with my tour clean up. Thank you Robin for being there for G Dog.

For those that live here, feel free to stop by and say hi to Guinness. He loves it when people come by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astral Greenjacket Review

Morning Kayak Lessons

Seward G3 Passat Kayak Review